Sunday, October 27, 2013

Army Ten Miler Recap

This was a first really big race, the B.A.A. Half marathon the previous weekend had 7,500 entrants, this one had over 35,000.  I was feeling really prepared for this race since it was going to be a lot less hilly than the half marathon the weekend before. This was the first race my husband Tracy and I were going to run together (without kiddo in the jogging stroller) and my brother-in law was running it with us too.  We were also treating this as a quick mom & dad overnight getaway (my mom was watching our daughter).  Funny how running has become the gateway to vacations.

We headed down to DC to pick up our packets at the Armory, a drive we'd done countless times last year since my husband had been stationed at the Pentagon for the year and we drove back and forth to our home.  So happily, we knew where we were going (always a bonus heading to an expo).

In line for the free parking for the expo
We parked the car and headed into the expo. Since we had our ID cards, it took no time at all to get into  the building.

This was also my first time at an expo, it was a little overwhelming. What I learned is to figure out what vendors are going to be at the expo and where and then target them first. 
Just a taste of the vendors.
So we picked up our numbers, checked out the expo for a little bit where I bought a new armband, and shoes at the Mizuno tent and then we headed to the hotel in Alexandria, VA.  The hotel was filled with other Ten Miler participants, and the Metro station was only 2 blocks away and a short ride to the Pentagon. After dinner, I laid all my clothes out so I didn't have to think about it in the morning and headed off to bed.
I like layers.  I  believe it's better to take something off than wanting to put something on.
 Race morning we headed over to the Metro station.  We decided to leave at 7am to head over, so that we had enough time to get through security and hit the bathroom before our corral went off.  We were in the final corral (purple). Purple is my favorite color, so I took think as a good sign.

Riding on the Metro.
We got off at the Pentagon and the enormity of the event was really starting to sink in.  A sea of people everywhere.  

Packed escalators.

There were so many people that you couldn't feel how cool it was out, until you got outside.  It was definitely brisk, but waiting to get through the secure runner area made you forget about the cold.

And this is what thousands of people trying to get through security looks like.

So we made it to the porta potties and gathered in the purple corral.  I had time to stretch again and get the last minute jitters out and then the balloons started moving our group up to the start line.  The cannons went off and we were on our way. Tracy and I were feeling good and my pace was sub 11 minute miles. I always appreciated a good challenge and this race's challenge was to maintain my own pace while being mindful of those around me and finding clear running paths.  At times it was definitely a challenge with so many runners grouped together.

I was and am very proud have run this race for a variety of reasons.  Being among other military families, Wounded Warriors, Active Duty and Reservists and those running in memory of a fallen soldier was a privilege.

On a personal note, I finished it almost 5 minutes faster than the ten mile point from the half marathon the weekend before and about 10 minutes faster than my 10 mile training run earlier this month.  Plus, I got to do it with my husband.
Happy Finishers!
And the coin we got is pretty awesome too.


I would love to do this race again next year for the 30th Annual Army Ten-Miler. I think our times would move us up in the corrals and now I have something to base the next race on. What race would you like to do again?


4 comments:

  1. I ran too! It was awesome. Hope to run again next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Megan! I'm marking on our calendar when registration opens :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good race! I posted my race report with a similar pic of the mass of people trying to get through security to the corrals, but in my case THEN I needed the portapottie line and missed the start. It was insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is really intense. It was nice to read that you were able to enjoy your run after that start.

      Delete