Monday, December 30, 2013

Thoughts on 2013

2014 is fast approaching, so here are some thoughts on this year:

I'm stronger and faster at the end of 2013 than I began the year.
I didn't set any goals for 2013 so I didn't know I'd end the year with 4 half marathons under my belt and shaving 10 minutes off my half time between May and November.  I'm also slowly learning to stop obsessing about data.  At the beginning of the year I was constantly looking to see progress and now I'm just checking in to see where I am.  It's actually liberating to run without constantly checking the pace.  That being said, I did get a Nike+ Sportwatch for Christmas (yay!) so I've been playing with that (and still figuring it out) so now I'll have immediate feedback instead of using my phone (and draining the battery).

I will be a kind runner.  
If you read my Princeton Half recap you'll know I was on the receiving end of some crappy runner etiquette.  I didn't like the way that felt,  and I've decided I will not make anyone else feel that way.

No judgement.  
Before I ran my first half marathon, I had a "goal" of not finishing last.  After running lots of races this year, I've decided finishing last is better than not starting at all.

You never know who is watching.
My daughter has run 2 kids races this fall and always asks me if I'm going to go for a run when she sees me in my running clothes.  The second question is: can she go too.  How can you say no to that? I'm thrilled my whole family is getting the running bug.
Helping mommy get ready to run

Pushing kiddo in the jogger.  Can definitely do this for more miles than I started the year.

Losing your toenail(s) is not so bad. 
Never thought I'd actually type that. After losing one on my left foot this summer and having a cracked big toenail and a black toenail on my right foot right now, having it fall off is not a huge deal.  I've taken to doing my own pedicures to spare anyone else from seeing what they look like so I will spare you from photos of my feet (I barely want to look at them myself). 

Races (of all lengths) are fun.
In addition to the half marathons I ran this year, I've done a 10 miler, a 5 miler, a 10k and some 5K's.  I loved each of the races for different reasons and am looking forward to the variety of 2014.  I love race day and approaching the start, but pre-race jitters are not fun.  One thing I'm working on for 2014 is not stress out as much pre-race.  That is definitely going to be a work in progress.
At the start of the Spring Lake 5
No cotton socks. 
I know this, however I get suckered into running socks that are cotton blends.  I got lulled into a false sense of security on training runs wearing them and my feet felt fine, however on race day I got blistered pretty good (which I'm sure is a contributing factor to the state of my feet right now).  So I plan to take better care of my feet in the coming year. 

Say Thank You.
Volunteers, race organizers and spectators are what make races awesome.  Also what I've learned this year is races are made exponentially better when you have your own cheering squad.  
Family and friends cheering me on at the Trenton Half
Pack smarter.
I have a very difficult time packing lightly and will pack what I like to call "options". I'm learning to strike a balance in being prepared for race day and having too much stuff.  I really hate being cold, so I tend to pack layers in case it's cold and then I can take something off...

I had a bag full of running clothes for an overnight, and this is the only thing I wore.
Cross training is your friend.
I totally look forward to yoga days to get a good stretch and strength training days.  I've been not as good lately about going to yoga, so I plan to get back on a regular schedule in 2014. 
Kiddo doing yoga on her "yellow" 
So we'll see what 2014 holds for us and I'm looking forward to the journey!  What are some things you've learned in the past year? 

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment