Monday, September 9, 2013

Back in the saddle, and a breakthrough!

I've been away a while from my blog (about a month), I hit a writing rut in mid-August and I'm getting back in the habit of writing regularly.

Some things that I've done since my last post:  started working out with a trainer and continued my running and cross training to get ready for fall races (with the B.A.A. Half fast approaching!).  Finding a trainer that you trust is really important. I've experienced trainers that try to sell you on packages without selling you on themselves and how the two of you can work together to accomplish you goals.  For me, embarking on personal training is not about filling someone's monthly quota, it's about finding the next level. For me, my current goals are to be an injury free, faster runner and learn how to eat better for myself and my family. Last weekend the trainer took the workout outside (it was a beautiful day) and in 30 minutes, she really kicked my butt.  I could feel my quads tighten as soon as we finished.


View from the ab work & stretch, sometimes it's about the beauty around you too.

After working out with the trainer on Saturday, I ran a virtual 10k on Sunday.  I woke up with really tight quads but figured a good stretch and listening to my body while I ran, it would be fine.  The first mile felt alright, miles 2 & 3 I could really feel my quads but then I heard the splits on my RunKeeper:  Sub 12 min miles. So I decided I was just going to keep up the pace and keep my splits down. I felt pretty good when I was done and I realized I didn't start the RunKeeper when we started running, so my data was not going to show the full 10K (which is another reason to look into a GPS watch).


Feeling Accomplished

So I realized that I had just ran over six miles at sub 12 minute miles. I checked my data from the last 6 mile run...


8/17 Run
9/8 run





















I shaved 3 minutes off my last 6 mile run and with sore legs!  I may have experienced a running breakthrough, I just have to remember how that felt to keep it going on upcoming longer runs.  Did you have a running breakthrough?  How did you keep the momentum going?



No comments:

Post a Comment