Wednesday, July 10, 2013

1 Vacation, 1 5k, 1 lost toenail

We just got back from our annual trip to Wisconsin to see family, I didn't do as many official workouts as I planned, but I did carry my 30+ pound toddler around a lot (so that has to count for something, right?)

About a month ago, I started looking for a 5K to run while we were there and came across the Oshkosh Sawdust Days 5k.  My husband signed us up (along with my brother & sister-in-law). I thought since it was in the morning it would be cooler than the last 5k I ran the week before. It was a little cooler, but more humid.  There was a surprisingly small group of runners (90-100 max).  I thought I could finish the race in under 30 minutes, since it was along the water and flat.  My 1st mile split was 9:30 and doing a quick calculation in my head, I thought I could do it.  Then the thirst and heat hit me.  I quickly regretted that I did not bring water with me. I hit the first (and only water station) and I felt ok, and then I started to feel myself overheat.  Instead of running on the road, I started running on the sidewalk to try to catch some shade by the trees.  I decided to walk a little to catch my breath and cool down a little, so my mile 2 split was 10:45.  I abandoned all plans of a sub 30 min 5k, instead I re-focused and thought about the last 5k time and decided I just had to finish ahead of that. My husband was feeling better than I was so he finished ahead of me and then met me at about 500m out to run it in with me and push me to the finish line. I ended up finishing it 4 minutes ahead of of the previous 5k but most importantly, I finished.



As I was getting my socks on to head to the race, my toenail peeled 90% off.  After I ran my first half marathon in May, it definitely was discolored and I had a nice blister to go with it.  I had been keeping an eye on it, so I wasn't so surprised that it decided to part ways with my toe and it didn't hurt.  So I taped it up and ran the 5K and then the next day I peeled it right off. So I met 2 of my three goals for the run (1. finish, check. 2. don't finish last, check.  3. don't lose toenails, at least the new one is starting to grow back...)

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! Losing toenails is awful! I lost 3 (including the two big ones!) during training and running of my first 1/2. I learned to buy bigger shoes! :)

    Great job on your 5k! And thanks for being part of our Blog Hop! I hope you get a lot of new hits and followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for swinging by (and starting the Blog Hop!)! I've also learned to be careful of the socks I choose for race day (and not only my shoes).

      Delete