Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hello new shoes, let me show you around!

When I was a rower in college, I could get away with having 1 pair of sneakers the entire year.  Now I'm looking at breaking my new ones in and getting some more mileage out of the ones I currently wear and will probably be looking at a back-up pair later this fall.  I'm definitely going to surpass last year's miles in the next couple of weeks.



This summer I've been doing some runs without starting my Runmeter because I wanted to run for a while without thinking about the data before re-starting training for fall races.  I know I've put more miles in than what is reflected above, which got me thinking I should find a new pair of shoes.

So what shoes to pick? I loved my Mizuno Wave Alchemy 8's but they were discontinued so I've been running with my Brooks Addiction 10.  I do like them, but during the half marathon in May they started to feel heavy around Mile 9 (I mean my whole body started to feel heavy by that point, so I probably can't totally blame it on my shoes). However, you should go into race day feeling a comfortable as possible and not worrying about how your shoes are going to hold up. Last month, I went to my local running shop and tried on a couple of different shoes and ran on the treadmill to get the feel of them.  So I ended up back with the Mizuno's and this time with the Wave Rider 16. I've never had brightly colored running shoes before, so it's been taking a little bit getting used to their brightness compared to my dirt covered, well-worn shoes that used to be white.

As you can see my Brooks got a lot of love and have been with me on a lot of runs.  We've completed several firsts together (1st half marathon, 1st 5 mile race, 1st lost toenail) so I'm a bit sad to see them go, well minus losing the toenail.  I still have some mileage left so they'll come in handy during the transition period and they will find a good home once the transition is complete.
Do you have a favorite pair of running shoes that you don't want to transition out of? 


No comments:

Post a Comment